Monday, March 10, 2014
AUGUSTA -- A Waterville man will spend 45 days in jail for filling a prescription for drugs that had been prescribed to his girlfriend's mother prior to her death.
Anthony C. Mascioli, 28, pleaded guilty Tuesday in Kennebec County Superior Court to acquiring drugs by deception and to a charge of criminal attempt to acquire drugs by deception knowing the prescribed person was deceased.
He had been arrested May 20 in Waterville when he tried to pick up a prescription for alprazolam, a medication used to treat anxiety disorders and panic attacks.
The drug was prescribed to Debra Wilson, who died April 10.
Court documents show that police investigating the case arranged for a placebo to be provided rather than the actual medication on May 20. Mascioli had received the real medication on April 26.
Mascioli also pleaded guilty to operating after revocation, which occurred May 12 in Waterville.
He was sentenced to a total of 364 days in jail, with all but 45 suspended, and one year of administrative release. He also was fined $500.
At a separate hearing in Kennebec County Superior Court, Jesse R. Ahearn, 32, of Vassalboro, pleaded guilty to stealing merchandise from Target stores in Augusta and Biddeford.
Assistant District Attorney James Mitchell Jr. told the judge Ahearn thought he was in an area without security cameras, but some had been recently installed, and the thefts were recorded.
Ahearn pleaded guilty to three counts of theft by unauthorized taking, two that occurred in Biddeford Jan. 7 and Jan. 9 and one in Augusta Dec. 20. He also pleaded guilty to violating condition of release July 20 in Augusta.
He was sentenced to four years in prison, with all but 14 months suspended, two years' probation and ordered to pay a $2,940 in restitution.
A number of other people were sentenced Tuesday in separate hearings held in Kennebec County Superior Court:
* Normand E. Comeau Jr., 45, of Litchfield, domestic violence assault July 17 in Litchfield; 364-day jail sentence, all suspended, two years' probation.
* Joel Aaron Fernald, 32, of South China, failure to stop, remain, render aid March 23 in China; $250 fine.
* William M. Freeman, 48, of Winslow, operating after revocation Nov. 22, 2010, in Winslow; nine-month jail sentence, $1,000 fine.
* Nathaniel F. Galouch, of Waterville, operating under the influence June 21 in Augusta; 180-day jail sentence, all but seven days suspended, one year probation, $700 fine, three-year license and registration suspension.
* Ralph Patrick Haley, 49, of Blue Hill, violating condition of release Feb. 19 in South China; five-day jail sentence, credit for time served.
* Johnathan T. Schlager, 28, of Augusta, operating under the influence April 13 in Augusta; 12-day jail sentence, to be served in the alternative sentencing program, $700 fine, three-year license and registration suspension.
* Dustin D. Thibodeau, 31, of Waterville, burglary Nov. 23, 2009, in Waterville; three-year jail sentence, all but 90 days suspended, two years' probation.
Betty Adams -- 621-5631