Thursday, April 24, 2014
By Betty Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
VASSALBORO -- Fire on Saturday morning destroyed a North Belfast Avenue building housing Vannah Yard Care's garage and offices as well as an apartment.
Chief Eric Rowe of the Vassalboro Fire Department said no one was hurt, and the first firefighter on scene -- who lives nearby -- found the structure engulfed in flames.
Firefighters poured water on one side of the building but had to wait until a Central Maine Power Co. worker could cut off the power before firefighters could attack the blaze from all sides. He said power was cut off within three minutes of the CMP bucket truck's arrival.
"I was worried where power lines were hooked to the building that they could fall and endanger them," Rowe said.
Rowe said firefighters were able to cut a propane line and roll a large propane tank away from the blaze.
He said the building had originally been an old home.
The business was open Saturday morning, according to Rowe. "They were working in the garage and were outside doing something when someone came by and said, 'Your garage is on fire,'" he said.
Rowe said he was unsure whether anyone was living in the apartment, but that a deputy had kicked the door down and said everyone was out.
Between 25 and 30 firefighters from China fire departments, as well as Vassalboro's, responded to the alarm and Winslow covered the Vassalboro station, Rowe said.
He said the owner, Earl Vannah, indicated the building was insured.
A message left for Vannah was not returned Saturday.
Betty Adams -- 621-5631