Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Kennebec Journal Staff
DRESDEN -- New hiking trails are being prepared in a 70-acre pine, hemlock and oak woodland in conjunction with the 250th anniversary of the Pownalborough Court House.
GROUND WORK: Aaron Mathias of the Maine Conservation Corps, left, confers with Lincoln County Historical Association volunteers George Keyes and Ed Kavanaugh on the Dresden trail project.
The woodland is part of the property surrounding the courthouse, which is owned and managed by the Lincoln County Historical Association.
The association recently received a grant from the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands to develop the woodland as a recreational hiking area. Part of the grant is being used to cover the cost of a three-man crew from the Maine Conservation Corps enlisted to construct bridges and ramps at strategic points within the system of three separate but interrelated trails.
The trails will carry hikers beneath towering trees forming a canopy over the forest floor and a dramatic wooded ravine, according to a news release from organizers.
The 18th-century Pownalborough Court House was built in 1761 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. It was an outpost in the region's legal system when Maine was part of Massachusetts. It is on Route 128, about one mile north of Route 197.
Hikers can park on the courthouse grounds. The woodland is directly east of the courthouse, on the opposite side of Route 128.
The anniversary will be celebrated at the courthouse on Sept. 10.
The Lincoln County Historical Association is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to collect, preserve and interpret the history of Lincoln County. Visit www.lincolncountyhistory.org for more information.