Wednesday, April 16, 2014
BY KELLEY BOUCHARD
But inspection reports from 2007 to 2009 show that city inspectors found similar problems with dirty or malfunctioning equipment, holes in the ceiling and walls, peeling paint, broken or missing floor tiles and plumbing that wasn't up to code.
The Porthole wasn't inspected in 2010 or 2011, when the city was in the midst of moving responsibility for food service inspections from the code enforcement office, within the planning department, to the health and human services department, said city spokeswoman Nicole Clegg.
"We had significant staff reductions around that time and we weren't really able to accomplish what we had done in the past," Clegg said Monday.
A 2008 report called for a follow-up inspection to see if plumbing had been installed as instructed for the bar on the Porthole's deck. The next available report, in 2009, makes no mention of the plumbing issue, but found several other problems, including improper food and utensil storage.
The city hired Sturgeon in September 2011, shortly after the state reduced the requirement for food service inspections from a yearly event to once every two years, Clegg said.
With about 800 food service establishments in Portland, Sturgeon must do about two inspections per day to keep up and hold food service providers accountable to the laws they're expected to follow.
"We're making a concerted effort to be more proactive and educate food service providers about their responsibilities," Clegg said.
Sturgeon allowed the Porthole to open after the restaurant's staff thoroughly cleaned the premises on Friday and Saturday and owner Oliver Keithly hired Command Pest Services of Gray to get rid of the rats and close any holes in the building.
"It's an ongoing issue, especially in an older building on the waterfront," Keithly said Monday afternoon.
Keithly also promised to hire a professional cleaning company to further sanitize walls, ceilings and structural features and to hire a certified food protection manager as required by state law within 60 days. Sturgeon scheduled a reinspection and planning meeting next Monday.
"I feel confident that the city and myself have worked together to alleviate any concerns," Keithly said.
Keithly wouldn't say how much money his business has lost or spent as a result of the shutdown. He said he's more concerned that his business won't survive the bad publicity.
Douglas Gardner, Portland's health and human services director, said he's confident Keithly has addressed significant code violations and will keep problems in check.
Three floor drains that flowed into the harbor were permanently blocked with cement, Gardner said, and several malfunctioning and dirty appliances were taken out of service, including an ice maker, a food mixer and a meat slicer.
Gardner admitted that he allowed Keithly to use the Porthole's kitchen on Friday evening to prepare a boiled lobster dinner for a 40-person wedding reception that was scheduled to be held in the Harbour's Edge banquet hall.
The kitchen had been thoroughly cleaned and the restaurant remained closed to the public, Gardner said. The meal was served aboard the Casablanca harbor tour boat, which docks beside the Porthole and is where the couple was married.
Keithly said he told the couple why the banquet hall was closed.
(Continued on page 2)