Thursday, December 12, 2013
Kennebec Journal Staff
AUGUSTA -- Farms throughout the state are inviting the public to take barn tours and sample their crops at the 21st Open Farm Day on Sunday.
Visiting hours for most farms will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Some farms will have longer hours for special events, such as milking demonstrations.
There will be farm-raised products for sale, hay rides and petting zoos.
The event is organized by the Maine Department of Agriculture, the Soil and Water Conservation District and Cooperative Extension Offices in each county.
For a complete list of host farms and directions, call 287-3702 or visit www.getrealmaine.com.
* Second Chance Farm & Longfellow's Creamery, 20 Maple Lane, Avon; organic and grass-based beef, pork and dairy
* Whitehill Farm, 357 McCrillis Corner Road, East Wilton; diversified certified organic and certified naturally grown
* Caverly Farms, 1430 River Road, Clinton; large dairy and beef farm
* Emma's Family Farm, 135 Windsor Neck Rd., Windsor, pastred meats, free range eggs, produce
* Fieldstone Gardens, 55 Quaker Lane, Vassalboro; perennial plant nursery and tree farm
* FireSide Ridge Alpaca Farm, 17 S. Taylor Road, Mt. Vernon; Alpaca
* Flood Bros. Dairy Farm, 839 River Road, Clinton; dairy farm
* Friends' Folly Farm, 319 Norris Hill Road, Monmouth; Angora goats, fiber processing mill, meat rabbits and vegetables
* Hart-to-Hart Farm, Hussey Road, Albion; organic dairy
* Long Meadow Farm, 29 Long Meadow Drive, West Gardiner; diversified organic with chickens, sheep and goats
* Misty Acres Alpaca Farm, 3071 West River Road, Sidney; Alpaca farm
* Phoenix Farm, 191 S. Monmouth Road, Monmouth; diversified organic farm
* Spinnakees' Farm, 1180 Tasker Road, Augusta; fiber and livestock
* Winterberry Farm, 538 Augusta Road, Belgrade; farmstand and homestead
* Avalon Acres, 234 Dexter Road, St. Albans; orchard and vegetables
* North Star Orchards, 97 Orchard Road, Madison, orchard
* Stony Knolls Farm, 49 Maple Lane, Saint Albans; goat farm