Tuesday, May 21, 2013
AUGUSTA -- A man convicted 11 months ago of domestic-violence assault admitted Wednesday to assaulting the same woman again.
Andrew James St. Amand, 35, of Farmingdale, pleaded guilty in Kennebec County Superior Court to domestic-violence assault that occurred May 26 in Augusta.
He was sentenced to four years in jail, with all but 364 days suspended, and two years of probation.
Assistant District Attorney Paul Rucha said the offense occurred after St. Amand and the woman had been to a birthday party and St. Amand became angry while walking home.
He had been drinking and punched holes in the wall, Rucha told Justice Michaela Murphy at Wednesday's hearing. Rucha said St. Amand grabbed the woman, threw her to the floor and started choking her. The victim managed to escape and police were called.
When officers arrived, Rucha said, they saw St. Amand in an adjacent apartment and heard him on talking with the victim on a cell phone set on speakerphone.
"She said, 'Why did you do this to me?'" Rucha said. Then St. Amand saw the police and told her, "Thanks. Now I'm going to jail."
St. Amand was convicted last year of domestic-violence assault that occurred April 9, 2011, in Randolph, just before a fire that broke out in the apartment building where the couple was living.
St. Amand was injured when he climbed out a second-floor window to escape the blaze.
For that assault, he was sentenced to four years in jail, with all but four months suspended, and four years of probation.
A condition of probation bans St. Amand from contact with the victim unless she consents in writing.
A number of other people were sentenced Wednesday in separate hearings in Kennebec County Superior Court.
* Matthew B. Dineen, 43, of Gardiner, harassment by telephone or electronic communication device between Feb. 5 and Feb. 20 in Augusta; 180-day jail sentence, all suspended, one-year administrative release.
* Donald J. Fortier II, 33, of Augusta, operating while license suspended or revoked May 19 in Augusta; 48-hour jail sentence, credit for time served, $500 fine.
* Scott Allen Gilbert, 49, of Waterville, two counts of theft, March 17 in Waterville and April 2 in Palmyra, and one court of violating conditions of release April 25 in Oakland; four-year jail sentence, all but 32 days suspended, credit for time served, two years of probation.
* Netzahualcoyolt Gonzalez, 33, of Houston, Texas, operating vehicle without a license June 18 in Augusta; $150 fine.
* Jeremy R. Hanson, 20, of Clinton, criminal mischief Feb. 3 in Waterville; 180-day jail sentence, all suspended, one-year administrative release, 50 hours' community service, $627 restitution.
* Derek A. Lund, 24, of Chelsea, driving to endanger Feb. 17 in Manchester; $575 fine.
* Jerica Reny, 22, of Winslow, operating while license suspended or revoked May 2 in Winslow; $250 fine.
Betty Adams -- 621-5631