September 18, 2011

Living with demons

Former Augusta man faces murder charges

By Betty Adams
Staff Writer

AUGUSTA -- A prosecutor recommended in 1999 that 20-year-old Roy Gutfinski Jr. be kept behind bars for as long as possible.

click image to enlarge

This file photo shows Caius Veiovis, then known as Roy Gutfinski, on the left in 1999, and on the right in 2011.

Staff photo illustration

click image to enlarge

Caius Domitius Veiovis

Additional Photos Below

Deputy District Attorney Alan Kelley baldly stated Gutfinski, on trial in a bizarre assault case, would continue to be a problem -- both for himself and for society.

"Quite simply, the only guarantee of safety is adult incarceration," Kelley wrote as a judge was poised to sentence Gutfinski in a ritual blood-letting case that left a 16-year-old girl scarred for life.

Kelley's words were prophetic.

Gutfinski was convicted of elevated aggravated assault and served 7 1/2 years of the 10-year sentence -- one of his various periods in Maine and Massachusetts jails.

This week, now living under the name of Caius Domitius Veiovis after a legal name change in 2008, he pleaded not guilty in a Massachusetts court to three counts each of murder, kidnapping and intimidation of witnesses. The former Augusta man now faces the possibility of three life sentences without parole.

Veiovis, 31, and two others are accused of killing three men on or about Aug. 28 in Pittsfield, Mass., allegedly to prevent one of them from testifying.

A look at Veiovis' history -- largely through Maine court documents and previously published stories -- offers a picture of an increasingly self-loathing person who lapsed into recreational drug use, cultivated a fascination with knives and adopted demon worship to repel people.

'Dangerous' at 13

Veiovis was raised in Pittston -- he says by adoptive parents. But the reference to adoption is nowhere on a copy of his birth certificate, which lists his custodial parents also as his birth parents.

His problems with the judicial system began when he was 13 and was arrested for carrying a double-bladed assault-style knife.

A neuropsychologist who evaluated him said teachers noted a preocccupation with devil worship and resistance to authority. Another counselor said the boy "exhibited very dangerous and threatening behavior" and didn't want to change.

He was placed on probation at age 14 and spent the next couple of years in and out of the Maine Youth Center and various hospitals where he was treated for substance abuse -- alcohol, heroin and mushrooms -- and conduct disorders.

In April 1994, he was involuntarily committed to St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston, then discharged a week a later after hospital workers were unable to control him and he assaulted a staffer.

At that point, the boy admitted using marijuana daily, alcohol regularly and amphetamines and acid sometimes.

"Again he revealed to staff that a 'nun' had told him he was 'psycho, evil, and that he would grow up to be a murderer,'" Kelley wrote in the June 28, 2000, presentencing memo.

Released from the Maine Youth Center at age 18, Gutfinski applied for -- and later received -- Social Security disability.

He told the examiner then he spent his days watching for people who were out to get him.

'Hates what he sees'

A month after he turned 19, he was committed to the state's psychiatric hospital after reportedly assaulting his girlfriend and threatening her boss with an ax.

Then, in August 1999, he watched in his darkened downtown Augusta apartment as his 17-year-old girlfriend took a razor and sliced a 16-year-old girl in the small of her back.

The wound required 32 stitches to close.

Gutfinski and his girlfriend then licked the blood and kissed.

He told police he was a vampire, but one who was without fangs and able to go about in daylight.

At that 2000 sentencing hearing, Roy C. Gutfinski Sr. told the judge his son was a very active child who was later diagnosed as hyperactive, and hospitalized for drug problems.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Caius Veiovis was known as Roy Gutfinski when he appeared in Waterville District Court in 1999 as a 19-year-old.

Staff file photo by Ron Maxwell


Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)