May 19, 2012

Dead man had criminal record

By Betty Adams
Staff Writer

and Ben McCanna
Staff Writer

An Augusta man who died in a construction accident Tuesday might have been a family man who loved his children, as his ex-wife says.

However, Robert Marandes Rodriques Jr., 52, was also a convicted sex offender, burglar and thief with a lengthy criminal record that includes a 2009 conviction for burglarizing a neighbor's home in Augusta and stealing a television set.

In connection with that case, Rodriques filled out an application for a court-appointed attorney, swearing that he was disabled and that his only income was a $659 monthly Social Security payment.

According to his obituary and other sources, Rodriques worked at Tire Warehouse in Augusta at the time of his death.

The disclosure of a checkered past complicates the picture of Rodriques, even as the Occupational Safety & Health Administration investigates the mishap in which a seasonal lakefront home collapsed during repairs and fell on him.

Rodriques was working with Linwood Stover, owner of Kennebec Home Improvements, to repair a foundation under the summer camp on Lovejoy Pond in Albion when the accident occurred. Stover was injured and Rodriques died at the scene.

Maine State Police have completed an investigation into the accident, spokesman Steve McCausland said Thursday. He also said police were aware of Rodriques' criminal history and that it had no connection to the Albion accident.

An OSHA spokesperson said a report on the construction accident would not be available for several weeks.

Sexual offender

Cynthia Rodriques, who lives two doors down from her ex-husband's apartment on Chapel Street in Augusta, said earlier this week that Rodriques was a hard worker who loved his five children. "He was always there for his kids, always there for his family," she said Wednesday.

That sentiment is clouded by criminal records in Kennebec County Superior Court and Augusta District Court.

Court records show Rodriques was born in Boston and was diagnosed with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder and schizophrenia at various points. He spent time in 1983 in Bridgewater State Hospital in Massachusetts and at MaineGeneral Medical Center in 2006 for psychiatric treatment.

His body bore the scars from chain saw accidents and showed his fondness for tattoos of cobras.

Rodriques and Cynthia married in October 1994, and he moved to Maine with his wife and her young daughter.

In June 1995, and again in September 1995, Robert Rodriques was charged with operating after suspension in Randolph.

Convicted of both charges three years later, he was fined $500 for each charge. After a number of small payments, they were paid off in 2002.

Rodriques was charged in October 2003 with gross sexual assault.

Four months later, he pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of sexual abuse of a minor, with the dates amended to indicate the offense occurred between Nov. 13, 1996, and Nov. 12, 1997. A judge sentenced Rodriques to five years in prison, with all but nine months and one day suspended, and four years of probation.

Notes in the file indicate that the victim, in the age range of 14 to 16 at the time of the abuse, supported the sentence because she wanted to resolve the case.

The conviction required Rodriques to register for the next 10 years as a convicted sex offender. On Thursday, his photo and information remained on the online sex offender registry maintained by the Maine Department of Public Safety.

On that registry, Rodriques has 20 different aliases, mostly spelling variations of his names. Several other criminal charges also show his middle initial as P.

In fact, shortly after the accident happened Tuesday, police didn't know how to spell Rodriques' name correctly, and they gave two incorrect spellings to the media.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors