Thursday, April 24, 2014
By Doug Harlow firstname.lastname@example.org
ST. ALBANS — Four people were left homeless Sunday night after their mobile home caught fire when heaters used to thaw frozen pipes ignited the floor.
St. Albans Fire Chief Jason Emery said all four people, whose name he would not release, and their four dogs, made it safely out of the fire reported at 5:56 p.m. on Square Road.
He estimated damage to the early-1990s single-wide mobile home to be about $5,000. Emery said the owners were not insured and will do the repair work themselves so they can move back in.
They will be staying with relatives who live nearby in the mean time.
“The people had been without power for about four days due to the wind damage we had over here at the end of the week,” Emery said. “While their power was out, the water froze up. They were using heat lamps or heaters to thaw it out.”
The said the wooden floor, insulation and wiring under the kitchen and dining room area caught fire.
Crews from Hartland assisted at the scene and an ambulance from Sebasticook Valley Hospital in Pittsfield also responded, as is protocol for structure fires, Emery said.
He said there also was smoke and water damage inside the home, but the occupants were able to retrieve their belongings.
Firefighters were on scene for just under two hours.
Doug Harlow — 612-2367