Tuesday, May 21, 2013
The Associated Press
PRESQUE ISLE — Investigators with the state Fire Marshal's Office say careless disposal of smoking materials is the likely cause of a fatal house fire in Presque Isle last weekend.
The blaze discovered at about 4:30 a.m. Sunday claimed the life of 36-year-old Shawn Withington. He was found in a bedroom.
WABI-TV reported Tuesday that the medical examiner determined he died from smoke inhalation.
Investigators said there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
Withington lived in the home with his girlfriend and 4-year-old daughter, but they were not home at the time.
His girlfriend discovered the fire when she returned home with friends. Withington had gone out with them but returned home early.