Friday, March 7, 2014
SACO — Firefighters were called to the old central fire station at 12 Thornton Ave. on Thursday morning for what was initially described as a house fire, but turned out to be a worker on the roof.
The old Central Fire Station in Saco in undergoing renovations to convert the building into apartments and commercial space.
Press Herald / 2010 file photo
The building is being renovated into apartments and commercial space, and workers were repairing a section of roof ahead of today’s snowstorm when the clothing of one worker caught fire at about 10 a.m., authorities said.
The worker was using glue and a torch to lay a sheet of rubber roofing when his pants caught fire, said Saco Fire Chief John Duross. Co-workers were able to smother the flames but the man received what appeared to be second- and third-degree burns on his legs, Duross said.
Rescue workers were able to get to the man using the department’s ladder truck then lowered him in a basket using the Biddeford Fire Department’s aerial platform.
He was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland, which has a burn treatment unit.
An investigator with the state Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the incident.David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:firstname.lastname@example.org