August 7, 2013

Woman seriously injured in head-on collision with Mack truck Wednesday afternoon

By Kaitlin Schroeder
Staff Writer

WINSLOW — A 40-year-old woman was taken by a Lifeflight helicopter from the scene of a head-on collision with a Mack Truck on China Road shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday.

click image to enlarge

Both lanes of China Road, also known as Route 137, were shut down in Winslow following a head-on collision on Wednesday afternoon.

Staff photo by Jeff Pouland

click image to enlarge

Rescue officials work to remove a female occupant of a vehicle involved in a head-on collison on China Road in Winslow on Wednesday afternoon.

Staff photo by Jeff Pouland

Related headlines

The woman, whose name police withheld until family could be notified, was trapped in the 1989 Mazda 626 for about 50 minutes, according to Lt. Josh Veilleux, of the Winslow Police Department.

The truck driver and only other person involved in the accident, David Greene, 55, of Plymouth, was uninjured, Veilleux said.

The woman was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston. Veilleux said he did not have details about the woman’s injuries but said they were serious.

“Anytime a Lifeflight is involved, there are serious injuries,” he said.

The car was eastbound when it collided with a Pike Industries truck traveling in the opposite direction about 3:30 p.m. on China Road, also known as Route 137, Veilleux said.

He said the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office will need to reconstruct the accident, but the woman’s car appeared to have crossed the center line and hit the truck.

The hefty Mack truck, which was carrying a full load of asphalt and stood twice as tall as the Mazda, sustained only had minor damage and was dented on the driver’s side with the headlight smashed. The car, however, was destroyed in the accident, which occurred near 1136 China Road.

The Mazda’s front half had crumpled in the accident, and Waterville and Winslow rescue crews needed to cut the car apart to extract the woman.

The helicopter arrived at 4:34 p.m. and left around 5:15 p.m. About 20 first responders assisted at the accident, including local and state police, sheriff’s deputies and fire and rescue workers.

Rescue workers closed off one mile of the state route, from the intersection with Nowell Road to the intersection with North Pond Road, for about four hours.

This story will be updated.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)