January 1

Norridgewock man struck, killed while crossing road

SUV driven by Fayette man hit man on Mercer Road; Somerset County Sheriff Department said speed, alcohol do not appear to be factors in Tuesday night accident.

Staff Report

A Norridgewock man died Tuesday night after he was hit by a car on Mercer Road, according to the Somerset County Sheriff’s Department.

Stanley Worthley, 70, was crossing the road, which is also U.S. Route 2, about 5 p.m. to go home after visiting a neighbor when he was hit by a westbound 2003 Toyota Highlander, Chief Deputy Dale Lancaster said in a news release Wednesday.

Worthley was taken by helicopter to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston after the accident and died at the hospital, Lancaster said.

The driver of the SUV, William Young, 65, of Fayette, was not hurt, although Lancaster said he was taken to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan for evaluation. He had no injuries, according to Lancaster. The cause of the crash is under investigation, but Lancaster said speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors.

Lancaster said it was dark when the accident occurred, and that an accident reconstructionist was called to the scene to assist investigators.

Lancaster said Wednesday that the accident remains under investigation and he expected to be able to provide more details Thursday.

The Norridgewock Fire Department, Maine State Police, and the Maine Department of Transportation assisted at the accident scene.

In 2006, Worthley was recognized by Cianbro Corp. as one of the company’s 25-year veterans. He was a construction specialist with that firm.

Worthley was involved in an accident on the same road in September 1999, when the vehicle he was driving struck a cyclist from behind.

A news article about the event said the cyclist, Victor Jepson, was on a three-wheeled, hand-operated cycle.

Worthley went into the breakdown lane to make a turn and didn’t see the cyclist, who was also in the breakdown lane, until the last minute, investigators said.

A Somerset County sheriff’s deputy at that time said it was “an unfortunate accident,” and that the two men knew one another. Worthley went to the hospital to check on him. Jepson was treated and released.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at KJonline.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)