Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Two people were injured and their dog was killed on Saturday in a house fire at 816 Civic Center Drive.
The scene of a Saturday morning fire that damaged a home at 816 Civic Center Drive in Augusta. Two people were injured and a dog was killed in the blaze, according to Augusta Fire Department Battalion Chief Dave Groder.
Staff photo by Susan M. Cover
A man was burned while attempting to start a wood stove around 9 a.m. and a woman was also injured, said Augusta Fire Department Battalion Chief Dave Groder. He said he could not yet provide the names of those involved in the incident. The man was flown by medical helicopter to Maine Medical Center in Portland, reportedly suffering from burns, and the woman was taken to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta.
Groder said a dog died in the fire, and that the state Fire Marshal's Office is investigating. He said the ranch-style home sustained smoke and heat damage and will require repair work before it can be inhabited again.
Fire crews from Belgrade, Sidney, Gardiner, Togus and Winthrop responded to the scene. Traffic was diverted for more than an hour while firefighters, police and rescue personnel worked the fire.