Thursday, April 17, 2014
Somerset County grand jury indictments
SKOWHEGAN — A former sheriff's deputy accused of molesting three children at a Norridgewock day care center owned by his wife has been indicted by a Somerset County grand jury.
Brandon Lee Sherwood
Horace Barstow, 67, of Upper Main Street, Norridgewock, faces three counts of unlawful sexual contact for acts alleged to have happened between Nov. 1 and Dec. 7, 2012.
He entered no plea during his initial appearance in court April 3.
Barstow, who was arrested on the charges in March, is free on $20,000 property bond, according to a published report.
The molestation is alleged to have happened at ABC 123 Daycare, which was owned and operated by Barstow's wife, Barbara, at their home.
The state Department of Health and Human Services closed the site temporarily March 18. Since then, Barbara Barstow has surrendered her license and closed the center.
Barstow is a former Somerset County Sheriff's Department deputy. He was employed by the county as a reserve deputy from April 1985 to March 2001.
An indictment is not a finding of guilt, but is a determination by the grand jury that enough evidence is present to proceed with a trial.
Also indicted by the grand jury was Brandon L. Sherwood, 29, of Preble Street, Bingham. Sherwood is charged by the grand jury with class A arson for a fire that destroyed the town of Bingham's highway garage and all of the equipment inside on March 23.
Others indicted are:
• Rachel Ray Murray, 29, of Cambridge, charged with operating after license revocation, Jan. 15 in Ripley.
• David Getchell, 35, of Cornville, charged with operating after license revocation, April 2 in Cornville.
• Luke Park, 33, of Waterville, charged with operating after license revocation, April 5 in Skowhegan.
• Ty Donahue-Beard, 35, of Fairfield, charged with eluding a police officer, failing to stop for police, criminal speed and driving to endanger, May 7 in Fairfield.
• Kaylynn C. Whitney, 26, of Waterville, charged with theft, March 13 in Fairfield.
• Jennie E. McDougal, 62, of St. Albans, charged with trafficking and possession of narcotics and trafficking in marijuana, April 5 in St. Albans.
• Corey Gardea, 20, of Skowhegan, charged with robbery, March 27 in Skowhegan.
• Lawrence J. Church Jr., 25, of Waterville, charged with several counts each of burglary, theft and criminal mischief, between March 1 and April 10 in Skowhegan and Fairfield.
• Shane D. Gurney, 37, of Vienna, charged with theft, operating after suspension and operating under the influence, May 20 in Jackman.
• Joshua L. Cummings, 27, of Fairfield, charged with aggravated assault and assault, May 5 in Norridgewock.
• Robert F. Landry, 44, of Cornville, charged with theft, March 9 in Skowhegan.
• Wanda I. Osorio-Rodriguez, 32, of Waterville, charged with theft, between Nov. 26 and Nov. 30 in Skowhegan.
Doug Harlow — 612-2367