Monday, December 9, 2013
AUGUSTA — A fire that damaged a Macomber Avenue home Tuesday night started in a faulty dishwasher.
No injuries were reported in the approximately 7:50 p.m. fire, and damage was limited to about $10,000.
The residence was still livable, and the home was insured, according to Fire Chief Roger Audette.
The two-story home is owned by Green Street Methodist Church and occupied by Lynn and Judith Blackstone.
Audette said the fire started with an electrical short circuit in the dishwasher. The Blackstones were home at the time, and one of them discovered the fire, tried to put it out, and then called 911 from a cell phone from outside the home.
“She heard some popping in the kitchen, and saw flames coming out of the electrical part of the dishwasher,” Audette said.
Damage was limited to smoke damage, primarily in the kitchen.
Augusta firefighters were there for about an hour.
Three pets in the house all survived, Audette said.
The home is valued at $143,000 and was built in 1960, according to city assessing records.
Audette said there have been a number of electrical fires in Maine recently. He reminded residents of the importance of having working smoke detectors.