June 26, 2013

Convicted murderer attacked, killed at Maine State Prison

By Doug Harlow dharlow@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

Two murderers with ties to central Maine met in the exercise area of the Maine State Prison in Warren Tuesday night — one of them ended up dead; the other is facing another possible murder charge.

click image to enlarge

Alan D. Powell Jr.

Contributed photo

click image to enlarge

Guy Hunnewell III enters Somerset County Superior Court in Skowhegan in 1999 to be sentenced for the murder of Stephanie Gilliland the year before.

Staff file photo by Ron Maxwell

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

Related Documents

PDF: Powell gets life sentence (1991 article)

Alan D. Powell Jr., 57, originally from Oakland, died about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday after he was attacked by 42-year-old Guy Hunnewell III, originally from Fairfield, according to Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland on Wednesday.

Powell and Hunnewell “recreated together” at the prison in the past, but without incident, according to Scott Fish, director of special projects at the Department of Corrections.

Fish did not know if the men knew one another before their separate murder convictions.

Powell was serving a life sentence for stabbing and strangling Martha Daigle on June 29, 1989, inside a Waterville apartment house that residents referred to as the Bee Hive, at the corner of Elm Street and Western Avenue.

Hunnewell was sentenced to 40 years in prison for fatally stabbing Stephanie Gilliland, 20, of Benton, on Dec. 30, 1997.

An autopsy on Powell’s body will take place at the state medical examiner’s office in Augusta, McCausland said. No other details of the death have been released.

The death is being investigated as a homicide and Hunnewell remains at the prison.

State police detectives went to the prison Tuesday night and conducted interviews with guards and inmates, McCausland said.

The case against Hunnewell will likely be presented to the next session of the Knox County grand jury in July, McCausland said.

Brutal homicide

Bobbi Frappier, Daigle’s grandson, was 12 years old and living with his grandmother, but had stayed at a friend’s house the night she was killed. He was the one who found her body when he got back to the apartment.

“It was pretty gruesome,” he said Wednesday.

Daigle was killed inside a Waterville apartment house that residents referred to as the Bee Hive, at the corner of Elm Street and Western Avenue.

Frappier said he didn’t know Powell, but feels bad for the man’s family.

“When someone does something like that they don’t only hurt themselves, they hurt their family,” said Frappier, a lifetime registrant on the Maine Sex Offender registry.

Daigle, who was 64 when she was murdered, was the mother of 17 grown children and several grandchildren, according to Morning Sentinel archives.

She had been stabbed repeatedly in the groin, raped and strangled to death.

Waterville attorney Pamela Ames, who prosecuted the Powell case as an assistant attorney general, said Powell was a violent man who had made threats to Daigle in the past.

“It was one of the most brutal homicide cases I tried in my prosecutorial career,” Ames said by phone Wednesday. “He had stabbed her repeatedly and there was a charge of gross sexual assault, which is one of the reasons he got a life sentence.”

Ames said the guilty verdict hinged on physical evidence and motive. DNA evidence was unavailable at the time.

Police used a rolled red bandanna found under Daigle’s body to bring charges against Powell.

Waterville police testified they saw Powell, then 33, sporting a red bandanna rolled in a similar way as he walked around the city. Hair samples taken from Powell’s head were “remarkably similar” to hairs found on the bandanna in June 1989.

Ames said Powell had mental health issues, but never showed an indication of mental disease or defect to mount a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

Powell’s criminal record included a conviction for aggravated rape in Texas as well as rape and attempted rape in Maine.

At the time of his death, Powell had served approximately 22 years of a life sentence.

Vicious, premeditated

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Martha Daigle months before she was murdered in June 1989.

Staff file photo by Ron Maxwell

click image to enlarge

Trooper Joseph Mills II leads Guy E. Hunnewell III from the State Police Criminal Investigation Division in Augusta where he was detained after being arrested at the Comfort Inn in 1998. Hunnewell later pleaded guilty to murder.

Staff file photo by Andy Molloy

click image to enlarge

Guy E. Hunnewell III is arraigned in Somerset County Superior Court in Skowhegan in 1998 on a murder charge.

Staff file photo by Ron Maxwell

click image to enlarge

Bobbi Frappier stands outside the Waterville apartment building known as the "Beehive" on Wednesday. Frappier was 12-years-old when he found his grandmother Martha Daigle who had been murdered in the building in 1989. Alan Powell was convicted for the murder and died at the Maine State Prison Tuesday after an altercation with convicted murderer Guy Hunnewell lll.

Staff photo by David Leaming


Further Discussion

Here at KJonline.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)