Saturday, December 7, 2013
From staff reports
A burning cigar or cigar ashes were the cause of a fire in Windham early Sunday morning that killed a 25-year-old man, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
Parker Blanchard died after a fire started just after 3:30 a.m. Sunday on a futon in the living room of his third-floor apartment at 13 Main St., in Windham. The fire was ruled accidental.
Blanchard was found unresponsive on the floor of his apartment.
Blanchard's girlfriend, 25-year-old Annette Kowalik, escaped but was treated for smoke inhalation at Maine Medical Center in Portland.