December 20, 2013

Carbon monoxide leak in Lewiston sends 11 to hospital

The leak was traced to a vehicle left running in a garage attached to Bernard’s School of Hair Fashion.

The Associated Press

LEWISTON — Lewiston officials say a car left running in a garage was the source of a carbon monoxide leak that sent nearly a dozen people to the hospital.

A building that houses Bernard’s School of Hair Fashion was evacuated on Thursday after a number of students showed symptoms of exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide.

The city’s fire department said three people were taken by ambulance to Central Maine Medical Center and eight others were able to drive themselves to the hospital. All are expected to recover.

The leak was traced to a vehicle that had been left running in a garage attached to the building.

The school is expected to reopen on Friday.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)