Thursday, December 5, 2013
AUGUSTA — A Western Avenue business was evacuated this morning after a malfunctioning ventilation system led to a small fire on the roof.
Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette said firefighters were called around 7:30 a.m. to Anytime Fitness in the Western Avenue Plaza.
“They found smoke in he building and the business was evacuated,” Audette said.
Firefighters found an air handling unit on the roof was smoldering and sending smoke into the building.
Firefighters shut down the unit and extinguished the fire.
“Damage was contained to the roof unit,” Audette said.
Firefighters remained on the call for about 45 minutes.