Tuesday, December 10, 2013
AUGUSTA — Police and firefighters responded to the Walgreens store off Memorial Circle this morning after employees reported smelling propane.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters determined the smell was from a malfunctioning propane tank on the roof. The store remained closed at noon and expected to reopen in within an hour, officials said. The alarm was called in about 11:30 a.m.
Augusta Fire Department Deputy Chief David Groder said the propane leak was confined to the roof and that only the odor got into the store.
The store was evacuated and some employees were standing outside in the parking lot near the fire department vehicles.
Groder said a furnace company was called to repair the unit, and he expected firefighters to turn the building back over to store employees shortly.
The report comes hours after one person was killed and three other injured when a propane heater explosion destroyed a Bath duplex.