February 12, 2013

Propane leak forces closure of Augusta Walgreens

Staff Report

AUGUSTA — Police and firefighters responded to the Walgreens store off Memorial Circle this morning after employees reported smelling propane.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters determined the smell was from a malfunctioning propane tank on the roof. The store remained closed at noon and expected to reopen in within an hour, officials said. The alarm was called in about 11:30 a.m.

Augusta Fire Department Deputy Chief David Groder said the propane leak was confined to the roof and that only the odor got into the store.

The store was evacuated and some employees were standing outside in the parking lot near the fire department vehicles.

Groder said a furnace company was called to repair the unit, and he expected firefighters to turn the building back over to store employees shortly.

The report comes hours after one person was killed and three other injured when a propane heater explosion destroyed a Bath duplex.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at KJonline.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)