Wednesday, December 11, 2013
YORK — Two garbage collectors had to be treated at the hospital after being exposed to toxic fumes from hazardous chemicals that were improperly disposed of in garbage bags.
The fire chief said the two men spotted a smoke coming from the back of their garbage truck after they had picked up the bags early Friday morning.
They removed the bags and called 911.
Authorities said the homeowner had recently moved into the residence and was cleaning out some of the chemicals stored in the home, and the homeowner didn't realize they could cause a chemical reaction when combined.
The fire chief told WCSH-TV that the homeowner will not face charges but may have to pay for the response and cleanup costs.