Friday, March 7, 2014
Next week features a handful of games that could determine playoff seeding for a few central Maine teams. Here are a few of the games to watch:
• Hampden at Lawrence: The undefeated Broncos beat Lawrence by 25 points on Dec. 18 in a game that wasn’t that close. Still, this game features the top two teams in the Class A East standings.
• Oceanside at Winslow: Oceanside beat Winslow 80-53 in Rockland in the season opener. Now, the Black Raiders are one of the hottest teams in the region, winning nine straight games, while the Mariners have lost two of their last three games.
• Camden Hills at Waterville: Camden Hills beat the Panthers in overtime on opening night. Waterville has been hot of late, winning six in a row, and is making a run at a home game in the preliminary round.
• MCI at Belfast: Belfast holds a five-point lead over MCI for the final playoff spot in Class B East. A win could vault the Huskies over the Lions.
• Messalosnkee at Brewer: A win would help Messalonskee’s playoff chances. The Eagles are two points behind Oxford Hills for the final spot in the Class A East tournament.
• Valley at Forest Hills: The Cavaliers beat Forest Hills, 54-53 when they met in Bingham on Jan. 2. Both teams are in the hunt for the top seed in Class D West, along with Hyde.
Travis Lazarczyk has worked at the Morning Sentinel and Kennebec Journal since 2000. He covers football, basketball and baseball. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/tlazarmaine