Sunday, April 20, 2014
High school football practices started today across the state. Here are some of the questions facing teams from central Maine as they begin workouts:
• Messalonskee has running back Keenan Knox, who missed most of last season with a concussion, back. Quarterback Travis St. Pierre transferred to Kents Hill, so who will be under center for the Eagles?
• Mt. Blue graduated two-year starter Ryan Backus at quarterback. Who will coach Gary Parlin tab as the man to run the Cougars’ spread offense?
• Kyle Bishop is a three-year starter at quarterback for Waterville, but what kind of weapons will he have around him in the Panthers’ offense?
• Mt. View earned its first two varsity wins in 2009. Are the Mustangs ready to take another step and contend for a playoff spot in the Little Ten Conference?
• Depth became a concern at Winslow last season. Do the Black Raiders have the numbers to bounce back into contention in the Pine Tree Conference Class B?
Teams can’t have a full contact practice until the end of the week, which doesn’t give much time to prepare for scrimmages next Monday. A lot of questions will probably go unanswered until the regular season.
Travis Lazarczyk has worked at the Morning Sentinel and Kennebec Journal since 2000. He covers football, basketball and baseball. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/tlazarmaine