Friday, April 18, 2014
A few quick notes as we get you ready for the state championship games Saturday at Fitzpatrick Stadium ...
• Winslow coach Mike Siviski said Monday he hopes to secure some practice time on turf this week.
Fitzpatrick, of course, is a turf field.
“It is quite different, playing on turf,” Siviski said.
The Black Raiders, who play Foxcroft in the Class C game, are looking at Colby and Thomas College.
• Coaches swapped game films with their counterparts last weekend in preparation for the big games.
Siviski and Foxcroft coach Danny White swapped two games.
So did Mt. Blue coach Gary Parlin and Marshwood coach Alex Rotsko.
Lawrence and Thornton Academy took things a bit farther.
“We did all our games,” Lawrence coach John Hersom said.
Hersom added that he met Thornton coach Kevin Kezal in Freeport on Sunday morning to exchange films.
“Usually in the season we do the two most recent games,” Hersom said, “but we agreed to do it this way.”
As of Monday afternoon, Hersom had yet to complete watching all of Thornton’s games.
“We’re getting there,” he added.
• Mt. Blue will practice at Kents Hill on Tuesday — the only day of the week it will get on turf.
“It’s a good day to go over there,” Parlin said.
The Cougars face more challenges that their Central Maine brethren, Winslow and Lawrence, this week.
For starters, Mt. Blue played just one Saturday game — and that was a late decision to postpone a Friday night game against Waterville because of the weather. The Cougars also haven’t played on turf this season.
Meanwhile, Lawrence has played on consecutive Saturdays while Winslow is accustomed to playing on Saturdays.
“We’re not a Saturday team at all,” Parlin acknowledged.
• On Tuesday, The Maine Principals’ Association will officially announce the starting times for the three state championship games Saturday at Fitzpatrick Stadium in Portland.
Here’s my guess how Saturday will shake out: Lawrence and Thornton will kick off at 11 a.m. in the Class A game; Winslow and Foxcroft will go at 2:30 in the C game; Mt. Blue and Marshwood will kick off at 6 p.m. in the B game.
• For updates, notes and other insights this week, follow along at twitter.com/billstewartkj