Wednesday, April 23, 2014
A few tidbits from Cony’s 49-15 win against Bangor on Friday night.
• The last Cony win against Bangor was in 1990, according to a couple of different sources including former defensive coordinator Bob Lippert.
“We beat four times in 19 years,” Lippert said of his coaching tenure.
• Bangor quarterback Carl Farnham still has a cast on his left hand and didn’t take any snaps at his position. He did, however, fake a punt and return it 76 yards in the second quarter. “He’s supposed to get that off this week,” Bangor coach Mark Hackett said. “But he just can’t be a quarterback with a cast.”
• For the first time this season, Cony had all the accoutrements to their new field in place, including a new concession stand, bathrooms, lights and new bleachers on both sides of the field. The second phase of the project is expected to begin next year and will include locker rooms and an artificial turf field.
• Cony’s defense gave up two big scoring plays but otherwise shut Bangor down, holding the visiting Rams to five first downs.
“We’ve made huge steps defensively,” safety Chandler Shostak said. “Last year we were pretty weak. We’ve put a huge emphasis on getting in the weight room and everyone’s been working out and getting a lot tougher.”
• Chandler Shostak intercepted two passes, diving on the sideline to pick one off and gathering in a deflection and returning it 25 yards for another. The Rams also got fumble recoveries from Sam Hopkins and Tayler Carrier.
• Freshman linebacker Reid Shostak turned in the hit of the game when he tackled Zeb Tuell in the end zone for a safety. “You can’t teach wanting to tackle and he likes to play the run,” Cony coach Robby Vachon said. “He plays down hill.”
• Cony unveiled a new formation with four receivers on one side of the field and one on the other. It served to confuse Bangor and it helped that quarterback Ben Lucas had a lot of time to throw.
“They’re a real good football team,” Hackett said. “We tried putting pressure on them and we couldn’t. I thought their line played phenomenal. We didn’t think they’d be able to block us and they held us off.”
• Lucas completed 26 of 45 passes, including seven to Chandler Shostak, seven to Tayler Carrier, and four each o Dayhawn Roberts, Braandon St. Michel and Jonathan Saban.